You never know when you might run across something that God wants you to see. But once you come across it, all you can do is thank God for showing it to you. Some of these things are small and may just bring a smile to our faces for a moment. Others are huge and may change our lives. And still others are ones that just make us stop and think. I think that it is important to take the time to thank God for these blessings because nothing is a coincidence. There is no "chance." God places everything where it should be and He lets us see things when it is time for us to see them.
This weekend I came across something I know God had placed in my path.
I'm a firm believer that you should back up your beliefs and your actions with scripture. God wants us to know for ourselves why we do things. He gave us His Word so that we could look things up for ourselves and not just believe what other people tell us. The issue with that is, I, myself, haven't always been so studious in looking up scripture to back up what I believe. But this weekend while looking around on facebook, I came across a note that one of my FB friends had written about why he believes what he believes. After reading it I was really impressed at how he had taken the time to look up the verses and really explain his beliefs. It's good enough, I think, that I wanted to share it with you guys, and he has given me his permission to do so.
So, this is the note "Why I Believe What I Believe" By Spence Gourley
Hello again,
So, I figured I was at a point in my life where I am mature enough to completely think about why I do what I do and believe what I believe; because mom and dad said is no longer a good enough reason. I love the Bible as much as the next Christian, but the truth is that not everyone listens to the Bible. So I will give both sides of my beliefs.
I have never tasted alcohol before in my life. It used to be because I was scared of Mom's wrath if I did. Now that I am on my own and I need to know why I don’t feel like it’s right. Let’s start with the Bible because it always comes first. Ephesians 5:18 “And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit.” Well, there you go. That’s pretty self-explanatory. I’m not saying that drinking is bad if you are remaining under control. But I have always believed that if something has the chance of getting out-of-hand I don’t want to put myself in the situation. Now for the life experience explanation. I never got to meet my great-grandpa because when some friends and him were out one day they got drunk and his friends literally beat him half to death then finished it off with a truck in the middle of the road. Alcohol ruins lives; I have seen it many times.
Now for smoking and other recreational drugs. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” This is saying this body we control was not made by us. We are to honor the Creator of it by keeping it healthy. I personally believe all of those things are disgusting. Here is a list of crap in cigarettes:
Ammonia: Household cleaner.
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons.
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber.
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid.
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas.
Cadmium: Used in batteries.
Cyanide: Lethal poison.
DDT: A banned insecticide.
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals.
Lead: Poisonous in high doses.
Formaldehyde: Used to preserve dead specimens.
Methoprene: Insecticide.
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics.
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs.
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India, in 1984.
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element.
That’s disgusting. As for the other drugs that put you in an alternate state of mind. My state of mind right now is just fine. Thanks.
Mmmm, cussing. Ephesians 4:29 “Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.” Cussing never helps someone. I don’t care what anyone says, (makes you cool, makes people listen, gets your point across stronger) cussing has no benefit to the human race in anyway, end of discussion.
Why am I not gay? Well, for me personally I don’t need a Bible verse to make up my mind on whether it is right or wrong. Some people really do struggle with this though, and I do not judge nor condemn them because I am not perfect. 1 Corinthains 6:9-10 “9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.” To clear up a lot of questions, this verse is by no means saying that if you have ever committed this sins that you will not go to heaven, will get to that later. My personal opinion is that woman is God’s greatest creation. Women are gorgeous and men are ugly.
Why must I be born again to claim the title and lifestyle of a Christian? There are lots and lots of “Christians” in this world. Here’s the truth (I shall use the Romans road). Romans 3:23 “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Not a few, not you, not I, but all. We are all at fault. I have messed up in my life and I know it. Romans 3:10 “As it is written: “ There is none righteous, no, not one;” God makes it apparent that we have screwed up. I accept that I have. Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Wow, death. That is powerful, but the good news is that we can receive a gift. That is so awesome. That is why I choose to be born again. Because who doesn’t want something that is free? Especially something like a one-way ticket to heaven? I have chosen to be born again and be saved. It was simple; I put my faith in the fact that God loved me so much He sent His son to die for us and raise from the dead. It’s so great. The least I can do is live my life according to His plan and tell others of this good news praying they will see the joy I have also received.
People think that salvation can be lost. I would have to disagree due to some sweet facts found in the Bible. 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” When we accept the gift of salvation God says we are a new creation. We have new lifestyles, new ideas, and new standards. If we could lose our salvation God would have to take back everything new He instilled within us. Also Jesus was the only sinless person who could pay the price to earn eternal life for all of us. The sin-debt was paid 2000 years ago. So if he holds it in His hands we cannot lose it. Basic logic tells us we cannot lose our friend’s basket at his house while we are at our house. So if we are not holding our salvation we will not lose it. John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” This is a promise to us from God that we can have eternal life if we believe in Him. A promise from God. He has never gone back on a promise, and He never will. 1 John 1:8 ” If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” This shows that we will continue to sin after our salvation. But if we are truly saved it will hurt us to do so and we will repent.
Baptism. Romans 6:3-4 “Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.” This shows me that baptism can only be done after salvation has come into effect. Throughout the Bible everyone that was saved was baptized immediately after. Because it represents loyalty to our God after we accept Him into our lives.
Dagum, I’m done, for now. Once again the point of all of this is to maybe help someone, never to receive personal Glory. Please don’t let this stop here. Use these points I have made or even make up your own. But please always be able to back up your opinions with scripture or they will be pointless.
After reading this the first time, I thought about doing the same thing: going through the Bible, finding the corresponding verses, and writing out my thoughts and beliefs. But then I realized that it would be so similar to Spence's note that it would be better to give him the credit and use his words. Plus it's well written and I think it's much more succinct than anything I would have written (which I figure may give you a break from my usual blogs with lots of ranting... =).
So, I'm done for now. I hope that you really think about what you believe and what you do. I know that there are things I need to work on. But the fantastic thing is that with God's help I know I can be who He wants me to be and do what He wants me to do. I just have to be willing to say yes to Him.
Which of these things do you agree with? How are you living them out?
God Bless,
Taylor
No comments:
Post a Comment