I love thunderstorms. They are a reminder of just how powerful and magnificent God is. He can create winds that will blow over houses. He can create rains that will wash away cars. He can create lightning bolts that light up the sky for miles. Although sometimes these storms can cause damage, they are beautiful.
Imagine that you're driving through a thunderstorm at night. You're in your car and with your headlights on you can make out the road about 15-20 feet in front of you. You have to focus really hard to stay on the road. The yellow reflectors show you the middle of the pathway, but the white edge lines are hard to make out. Every once in a while, a lightning bolt flashes across the sky, giving you a momentary glimpse at the road farther ahead.
Isn't this just like our walk with Christ? As we chug along through our daily lives, He is the lamp unto our feet. He only lights the path directly in front of us, because that's all we can handle at the time. Sometimes, though, He gives us glimpses into the future so that we will know where to go. He is also the reflectors in the middle of the road. If we stick close to Him, He will keep us safely on the pathway, but if we start to veer toward the blurry edge lines, we may end up falling off the road.
While driving home tonight in the massive thunderstorm, this is all that I could think about. The parallels of that drive and my walk with Christ. At times, I would get antsy when I couldn't see what was coming around a corner or when I hit a puddle and careened a bit. At times I get antsy in my walk with Christ, when I don't understand His reasons or when I don't know what is coming next, but then He'll send a lightning bolt to give me a glimpse, just enough so that I can take comfort in Him. Or, He won't give me a glimpse, and I just have to keep going and trusting that He will show me the way bit by bit. In either circumstance, it is completely God. He knows what He is doing. And just like I trusted Him to get me home through the thunderstorm, I should trust Him with my life every second of every day. If I let Him guide me, He won't lead me astray. The last song I heard on the radio as I was driving home tonight was this:
Light Up The Sky - The Afters
When I’m feeling all alone and so far to go
The signs are nowhere on this road guiding me home
When the night is closing in
It’s falling on my skin
Oh God will You come close
Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me
I, I, I can’t deny
Oh I can’t deny that You are right here with me
You’ve opened my eyes so I can see You all around me
Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me
When stars are hiding in the clouds
I don’t feel them shining
When I can’t see beyond my doubt
The silver lining
When I’ve almost reached the end
Like a flood You’re rushing in
Love is rushing in
Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me
I, I, I can’t deny
Oh I can’t deny that You are right here with me
You’ve opened my eyes so I can see You all around me
Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me
So I run straight to Your arms
You’re the bright and morning Sun
To show Your love, there’s nothing You won’t do
Light, light, light up the sky
You light up the sky to show me You are with me
I, I, I can’t deny
Oh I can’t deny that You are right here with me
You’ve opened my eyes so I can see You all around me
Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You are with me
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You are with me
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
How amazing is that? I'm constantly reminded that God is with me, that He is all around me. Even something as ordinary as a thunderstorm attests to His majesty. I challenge you to find Him in everyday things: a tree, a storm, a face, a cloud. He is everywhere.
I also challenge you to trust Him, even when you can only see right in front of your face, remember that HE can see the entire path. He knows what is coming up, and if you place your trust in Him, He will guide you straight through.
God Bless,
Taylor
Loving your blogs girl! Check mine out too. www.braydawg1970.blogspot.com.
ReplyDeleteThanks Shane! Checking yours out now. =)
ReplyDelete