Friday, March 25, 2011

Shocked or not shocked? Sin in our society

We, as a society, are hardening our hearts toward sin instead of away from it. We are becoming more and more accepting of the sins of this world. We are no longer shocked at the sin that we see happening around us. If we were, we would do something about it. Instead we stand by and watch, too scared or indifferent to take a stand for God. Jesus would not have stood idly by and let sin take place right in front of His eyes, and we shouldn't either.
I'm guilty of being a bystander to sin. There are countless times when I've watched sin take place and kept my mouth shut. It's not usually what we would call "big sins," but sin is sin to God, and it should be to us too. And by letting sin happen in front of me, I'm basically telling God that it's okay.

Psalm 55:16-19 - But I call to God, and the LORD saves me. Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice. He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me. God, who is enthroned forever, will hear them and afflict them-men who never change their ways and have no fear of God.

The devotional that sparked this blog only mentioned Psalm 55:19b, but I think it's important to know the context.
I feel like David was talking about physical battle when he wrote this Psalm (I could be completely wrong, because I am by no means a Bible scholar, but that's what I feel like he was writing about). Regardless, his words are true for the people of our generation who are in a battle against sin everyday. There are many people who will oppose us, BUT we serve a God who is greater than anyone else, and He hears our cries morning, noon, and night. He will get us through anything, and through Him we can make a difference.

I'm only one person, but when I'm standing in the shadow of the cross, I have God on my side. If God wants to use me to convict someone of their sin so that He can work in them, then who am I to stand in the way of that? I can't let my insecurities get in the way of God's work.

Satan wants us to compromise on sin, both in our own lives and in the lives of others. But if we continue to compromise, it will not only destroy our testimonies for God, but it will also shed a negative light on Christianity and God. So, from this day forward, I'm going to do my best to harden my heart to sin. I'm going to do my best to stand up for what I know is right. And even though sometimes I may not want to, and sometimes I might get scared, God is and will always be behind me, and He will take care of me if I'm doing what He asks me to do.

How do you deal with sin? Are you willing to put yourself aside and stand up for God?

God Bless,
Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment