Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year

So... I haven't posted in like, forever. Sorry! Last semester was super crazy. It was my first semester in the Teacher Education program and consequently my first semester going to an elementary school everyday. THAT was quite interesting in and of itself, then try adding in the five NGCSU classes and four "extra-curriculars" I'm involved in... I think you catch my drift. lol =)

But, since I have the house to myself for a little while, I figured I could write out some reflections on the past year, hopes for the coming year, and really whatever else I feel like writing. =) The joys of having my own blog.

2011 was a very interesting year. I had some really amazing times and some really tough times. As I think back over the year, I can really see how everything, good and bad, has taught me so much. It makes me continually thankful for God's direction and His work in my life. Although I wouldn't wish the hard times that I've gone through on anyone, I can see how God used those things to make me fully rely on Him and look to Him for strength and direction. As for the good times... I went on my first mission trip last year. New York City was AMAZING! I had the most amazing team, and I got to see so much. Then I went to Lakeshore, MS over the summer with another group of wonderful people and that trip was fantastic as well. I really, really love helping people. After that I taught my first VBS class. My favorite quote from VBS: "[talking about Jesus] They beat Him, then they hung Him, then they shot Him." 6 and 7 year olds are a hoot! =) Then I had the opportunity to be a counselor at NGM camp for a week, which was an incredible experience. Who knew that hanging out with 5 12-13 year old girls would be so great? lol. I ended the year with another 4.0 and a great new group of friends from my cohort. As for New Year's Eve, I spent that with my best friends, Thomas and Karen! I don't know what I'd do without them. =)

2012 is looking to be a promising year. After this year, I'll have one more semester of college, which is crazy to think about! I have no idea where I'll be placed for the next school year, or where I'll be living. It's tempting to worry about it, as I have a tendency to do, but I know that God knows exactly what He has in store for me, so I'm trying to keep that in mind. Right now I'm raising funds and prayer support for my first mission trip of the year: Quintana Roo, Mexico! 78 BCMers will be going on this trip to spread God's love to the people of Mexico and I am SO excited! I'm in the process of getting my passport now. =) I also turned in my SendMeNow application the other day, so I'll be gearing up for another summer mission trip as well. I have a BCM leadership retreat next weekend, that I'm looking forward to. I get to go visit my elementary kids next week when I get back into the swing of things! I can't explain how much I miss my second graders! They're the best. =)

In the midst of my excitement and hope for the new year, I've been hit with a dose of reality as well. On the morning of January 1st, a young woman named Hannah took her life. She was a North Georgia junior who was in the Honors Program. I had her in two of my HP classes and she was serving as the HP secretary for this school year. It's crazy to think of how fragile life is. How we can be here one minute and gone the next. Based on that, I want to live every moment to its fullest. I want to be a light in the darkness and show God's love in everything that I do. I know my time here is short. Our lives are but a vapor. I want to do everything I can to advance God's kingdom and truly let Him be seen in my life. I think about the fact that in 20 days, I'll be 21 years old. If that's not the age of adulthood, I don't know what is. I can't say that I've ever really been the typical rebellious or immature teenager/young adult, but the approaching of this "milestone birthday" is making me think. I wonder if I'm where I should be on my walk with God. I wonder if I should be farther down that road than I am. And although I can't go back and make up for lost time, I can strive to walk closer to Him everyday. I don't want that to be just something that I say, either. I truly want to live it. I know that I will still stumble and make mistakes, but I want to stumble less. I want to be someone that others can come to for advice and Godly council. I pray that God will give me the strength to live for Him everyday.

As a part of the BCM leadership team for this year, I was asked to write out a personal mission statement. It took me a while, but this is what my finished product (for now) is: "Allowing God to work in and through my life so that the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart please Him; So that I can shine His light in the darkness, love as He loves, and strive for His perfection." I hope that this year will be my opportunity to truly live this out. And I hope that in the years to come, this will truly be who I am.

I realize that this blog may be a bit jumbled and/or random, but I think I needed to get all of those things out. =) But in closing, I'll leave you with this thought: 2012 will not be a perfect year. No year ever will. We'll all fall down, and we'll all get back up to keep striving toward what God has for us.


Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down.
-Ps. 37:24

"Be patient with everyone, but above all with yourself. I mean, do not be disturbed because of your imperfections and always rise up bravely from a fall. There is no better means of progress in the spiritual life than to be continually beginning afresh and never to think that we have done enough."
-Francis De Sales


God Bless,
Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment